It’s that time of year…the kids are headed back to school and you are headed to get school supplies. As you go, take careful consideration of their backpack and what you pack into it each day. The American Chiropractic Association says that a child’s backpack should weigh no more than 5-10% of their body weight. For a child under 100 pounds it should ideally be no more than 5%. Some students are carrying around weight that is dangerous for their spine. An easy way to find out if your child’s backpack is too heavy is to weigh it on a simple home scale. If it is outside the guidelines, take action!
- When you go to purchase a backpack, bigger is not always better. Children are tempted to fill it, so buy only the size they need. You may be tempted to go with a rolling backpack to save their back altogether, but remember, there will be times when they will need to actually carry the backpack and the rolling hardware adds weight to the bag. If you do purchase a rolling backpack, be sure they will roll it a majority of the time.
- Look for ergonomically designed backpacks that will help distribute the weight across the body. Many backpacks have extra straps that children can use to help them do just that, but may resist using them or not even know what they are until you point them out. You want to choose a backpack that has wide, padded shoulder straps to ease the pressure on their shoulders and back.
- Regularly go through your child’s backpack to clean out items that they no longer need.
- Look for options to use online textbooks. Many schools have licenses to allow families to look at textbooks online, eliminating the need to drag home those heavy books.
- Get regular chiropractic adjustments to keep your spine healthy and contribute to overall health and wellness!
Helping your children take care of their spine from an early age will help eliminate back problems for years to come. Think of it as a deposit into their future! Taking a few simple steps now can save them lots of pain as an adult. Dr. Koester in Goodlettsville can help you with all of your chiropractic needs for your whole family. See him today to make a deposit into your child’s health today and for years to come!